Plastic encapsulated microcircuits (PEMs) have advantages over conventional hermetic packages in terms of size, weight, cost, availability, and performance. Aerospace designers often specify PEMs to reduce cost and shorten design cycle times, although PEMs are suitable for a wide range of harsh environments. The key to realizing these advantages lies in the PEM qualification process, which upscreens commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) by lot to establish high reliability and facilitate use of these commercial devices beyond their original intent.
STS offers PEM qualification services based on NASA instructions (PEM-INST 001) as well as any customer-provided screening requirements.
STS’S PEM qualification services are part of our comprehensive approach to designing for highly demanding environments, which includes general upscreening services and PEM products Retail+ and Certified Enhanced Devices.
The STS Advantage
- Rigorous upscreening to NASA instructions (PEM-INST 001)
- Optional customer-provided screening requirements
- Ability to provide pre-qualified products ready to use
- Low-earth-orbit (LEO) spacecraft
- Space launch vehicles
- Command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (C4ISR)